Kellett Design Group translates the complexities of the planning and approval process into a straightforward, easy council submission. We collaborate and liaise with Council and our clients to ensure hassle-free building approval.

Looking to submit plans to the council for approval and don’t know where to start?

The building commission of WA has made available a 56-page document for download.

“A guide to the building approval process in Western Australia.”

Council approvals don’t need to be hard or complicated.

Private certification service is a done for you service, KDG offers compliance advice concerning the BCA, due diligence reports and building audits for existing buildings and how to bring them to comply with the current building codes.

We Do Approvals For

  • Subdivision
  • Dual Occupancy
  • Granny Flat
  • Town Houses & Units
  • Apartment Building
  • Backyard Studio
  • Garage & Carports
  • New Home
  • Extension
  • Large Shed
  • Patios/ verandahs
  • Screen walls
  • Retaining walls
  • And much more

What is a certified building permit application (form BA1)?

As part of your building permit application, the proposed designs should be certified and comply with the relevant statutory requirements before you apply for a building permit. A registered private building surveyor can assess your plans and specifications of a building.

What is an uncertified building permit application (BA2)?

An uncertified building permit application means that a registered private building surveyor has not assessed the plans and specifications of a proposed building. The drawings and documents submitted with your permit application will require assessment by the City’s building surveyors.

Does a CDC speed up the building process?

Getting a CDC before you apply for your building permit will speed up your permit application time. The Council has 10 business days to approve or refuse a certified building permit application. In comparison, an uncertified CDC can take more than 25 business days, and it is less likely a Private CDC would be refused.

What Needs a Building Permit?

Most building work in Western Australia requires a Building permit. Any work that involves developing new structures, alterations or extensions and changes in ground levels must have a building permit.

These include the following:
– Dwellings and Additions
– Commercial and Industrial
– Carports and Patios
– Sheds and Garages
– Front fences
– Retaining Walls
– Decking
– Rainwater Tanks
– Swimming Pools and Spas